Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thursday March 11th

The comic:


So are they getting fatter or older? Either way, I don't see an attempt at either humor or heart-warming-ness. Why can't I get Plugger readers to comment and explain what the fucking fuck this comic is for. (Duck & Cover gets conservative trolls all the damn time.)

And the part left unsaid (but seen in Rhinoman's defeated expression) - they can't afford better fitting clothing.

Isn't it hilarious when your body changes and you can't afford to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe?

Aside from Rhinoman's expression - probably unintentional - this really illustrates how BAD an artist Brookins is. I can believe he was a political cartoonist, most of them are utter hacks who need tons of labels to let us know that horse shaped blob is in fact supposed to represent the GOP, while the one with the trunk is the Democratic party.

And then there's old political cartoons - talking 100 years old - such quality! Of course, the comics back then were much better drawn as well. I'm not a total crank - I do like some of today's comics. I want to buy all the Pearls Before Swine treasuries (I just bought the first one Sgt. Piggy's Lonely Hearts Club Comic and it includes notes from Pastis next to comics. "This is why I don't draw recliners."), all the FoxTrot books, Mutts is adorable, Get Fuzzy rocks. (I have many Far Side books, not enough Calvin and Hobbes and I think all of Bloom County.)

But my love of PBS shows I'm no art snob. I also like xkcd. It's all about knowing what you can do. I think Brookins, like Tinsley, thinks he can draw. Oh, he can draw better than I can, but he still sucks. Big time.

I often wonder why he chose to use animals. Maybe if I'm bored enough I'll e-mail him and ask. But I'll be respectful and not include a link here!

According to Wikipedia, it's in 60 papers, in prime Plugger places like the South (it's never been here and I don't remember seeing it when I read the comics in the Atlanta paper a billion years ago), Mid-West, Plains states, and the Rockies.

Who knows - if newspapers don't die out, it may be in more papers as the population ages and becomes more Pluggerfied.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rhino-man has really let himself go. I remember back to the days when he proudly carried his tv into the pawn shop, a capable Plugger through-and-through. Now, he looks like he's lost all conficdence in himself.

Marion Delgado said...

I kind of like how the Salvation Army is dressing Rhinoman lately. It's a step up from "when do I pull the trigger? When, Lord?" to "Man, I'm getting FAT!"

Disclaimer

The comic is reproduced here for purposes of review only, and all rights remain with the creator, Gary Brookins.