Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tuesday December 2nd

The comic:


I'm surprised he's not using a straight razor.

Is that what he's doing with his other hand? I'm not a guy, and I don't have any memories of my dad shaving. (He had (still has?) a mustache.) I have no idea.

The idea of a dog shaving, ow my head. My babies ran away today. My mom left the gate open today while bringing in firewood, and my sister doesn't do jack shit around the house unprompted, and my mom is stressed out, and she called me and damn, I'm just glad they're all back.

But what do you say? Mom feels like shit, she yells at Becky, Becky yells back, I just feel miserable and confused. At least I know I'm going home as soon as I can, instead of spending a few quiet days in the dorm with no homework to worry about after my last exam. Family needs me as a mediator and gate-closer/obsessive door-locker.

So.

Pluggers are old. But still young enough to be trusted with razors.

What? There isn't a lot to work with!

You know how Gocomics.com has a comments sections for each day's comic? I've read a few of the Plugger comments. Unlike the Dick Tracy ones, these are mostly posted by genuine fans. And the official Plugger website used to have a message board.

The main message from both these places is that this is not supposed to be funny, but it is supposed to be familiar. We are supposed to nod and say, "This is my life." It reminds me of the opening splash of MAD's parody of Mad About You where somebody says that instead of a laugh track, the show has a "how true, how true" track. (Or something to that effect. The book's at home.)

But Pluggers are both 80% of our population and old. And usually men. The too broad mission statement is what bugs me the most. "What, you don't live like this? Or, if the genders are wrong, know someone like this? What's wrong with you?" seems to be the underlying premise. Of course, I have this tag called "non-Pluggers suck," so this isn't a big surprise or anything. I just can't think of anything to say about the comic itself and felt that I'd been abandoning you guys lately with short posts. Plus, I went to bed at 9 last night, so I'm just being stupid and staying up late.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plugger-dogs shave? How do they know when to stop? Do they ever accidently shave their bodies in their zeal to get all those nooks and crannies? Or am I pushing the analogy too far?

Slager said...

Hmm... I don't know what it is about Pluggers that bothers me so. Maybe because there is that sort of snootiness... or non-snootiness, rather... that being "regular" is somehow more valuable than the high-falutin' other 20% of the country. I'm in that 20%, and so are most my friends... it makes me never want to leave my little sphere again if that's what's out there waiting for me. Augh.

Also, pluggers are old. This has been established. Many, many times.

Bryce Baker said...

The idea of a dog shaving is quite disturbing, but I would love to see it.

Kaitlyn said...

Bryce - someone shaving a dog, or a dog shaving itself?

Le chien se rase ou elle rase le chien? (That counts as studying for French, right - see, reflexive verbs.)


Sometimes when we get our dogs' hair cut, we ask for a shave. That just means the closest cut all around. We don't want no nekkid puppies!

Disclaimer

The comic is reproduced here for purposes of review only, and all rights remain with the creator, Gary Brookins.