Monday, September 1, 2008

Monday September 1st

The comic:



I think we've seen this before, but my archival skills are pretty damn sloppy, and I don't have the patience to slog through my blog. 8 year old articles at Slate won't read themselves, man!

Fencing rocks, because who doesn't imagine pulling out a sword like Captain Jack Sparrow (or the Three Musketeers, if you want to be geekier than me) and slicing up some bad guys and fencing is the closest most of us will get. Or watching some suspects and witnesses fence in that Law & Order episode.

Reed Hoover, man, change your address. YOU'RE FROM DALLAS. A CITY. That surely has rural suburbs and properties that would call for such a rugged, Wild West image. Memphis does!

What did you get the inspiration for this while yelling at your neighbors over the height of the privacy fence? Or that their mutt bit your purebred through the chainlink and now you'll build a privacy fence and show them? Er, that may have been my former neighbor. (The dogs, for the record, responded to the visual separation by digging a hole under the fence to see each other. And how could she open her mouth to bite through the chainlink holes anyway? Grump.)

And you're doing your neighbors a favors when you put up a privacy fence along the old chainlink - saves them the expense of doing it. Plus, they don't have to look at you anymore!

ETA: This may be topical, but it's not a good enough idea to repeat twice. Within 5 months.

I am indebted to Polsy for looking up fencing via google. Though typing it into the search window at the top yielded the same resultes.

Why didn't I look up something so obvious? Well, I didn't think Brookins would be that lazy. Sure, the image looked familiar (in the first one, he's fatter. that's it), but I didn't think the captions were so damn similar. Plus, even if he mentioned fencing, that wasn't a guarantee that I did. I'm not creating a fencing category. You should see the tag list at Comics I Don't Understand. It puts all comic blogs that I've seen to shame. Josh only puts the name of the comic in the tag! Do you know how hard it was to find the meth strips of Mary Worth?

5 comments:

Polsy said...

Ah, Google knows. The previous one is worryingly identical, down to the Plugger. Not to mention it's less than 6 months old.

Kaitlyn said...

Dude, thanks!

I knew the drawing was similar, but I didn't think the captions was the exact same.

From two different people, in two different states. The first might be more realistic. All I know about Littleton, Colorado, is what all people who were alive in '97 know. So it could be rural enough.

Interesting the way it differs - you'd think the fatter looking Plugger would be in Dallas.

Kaitlyn said...

Polsy - at least I didn't reference Archie comics again. If I had, it wouldn't have been copying my previous published work, it would have been me racking my brain for all I know about fencing. I didn't do it because I thought it was a bit too childish. Apparently I had no such reserve in April. Perhaps the stress of the semester was taking away my inhibition?

I do have another fencing reference in mind now, and it's probably worse than the Archie one: an episode of iCarly. Spencer and Freddie fenced, were challenged to a duel, Freddie's mom said no, then she fenced the bad kid into a corner! Her dad fenced. Or was an acrobat. iCarly's not that bad when there's no spongebob.

Kaitlyn said...

I may not have mentioned Archie this morning, but I did mention Law & Order in April, sort of.

"I'm sure it's been featured in some movie or tv show. (I'm thinking a murder type show.)"

I'm so ashamed.

Polsy said...

Ha, yes, it did occur to me to check whether you'd ended up making roughly the same comments as the previous time. Though I didn't notice the probable Law & Order reference.

Still, now I've found out what iCarly is. Lucky me :)

Disclaimer

The comic is reproduced here for purposes of review only, and all rights remain with the creator, Gary Brookins.