Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sunday the 9th

How do we sleep while our beds are burning?

I am done, done done done! with the hard finals - now I just have French and Math. And Math is easy for me, and so is French. Yay!

Now something more unpleasant than a thousand stereotypes about women and math - today's Pluggers! (Please, try not to barf on your computer.)



To quote somebody, somewhere: Fuck the what?

I just burned the idea that women don't know jack about math, and here I got nothin' about cars.

Except - my great-grandfather never buckled up (he died about a decade ago), so he would have had issue with air bags, period.

And I remember an early '60s Dave Berg cartoon about seatbelts - the mom was singing their praises because they held stuff in - her grocery bags, while her kids stood up in the car.

Talk about dated!

So, from what I know about Pluggers (too damn much!) and cars (the gas and break pedals can switch places, I swear!), let me hazard a guess.

Side airbags were introduced relatively recently, and Pluggers don't trust that new fangled technology - so are they potential Unabombers, the lot of them?! or merely being cautious?

I'm going with the first - it's more fun.

On a more somber note, about a better comic, Al Scaduto died yesterday. He will be missed. (Heard about it at the Comics Curmudgeon.)

Al - this video is for you -



Not for Pluggers, god no, not this hippie nonsense.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's such a quintessentially Australian song, dealing with Australian images and Australian issues, that I find it strange that it became an international hit. But it's a good song.

Midnight Oil did a song about the Montevideo Maru. I haven't yet seen that CD in our local CD store (one of the few still left).

One of my relatives died on the Montevideo Maru, so I'm interested to hear the song.

You can find the full story on Google, but briefly the Montevideo Maru was a neutral Uruguayan ship chartered by the Japanese to carry POWs from New Guinea. It was sunk by an American submarine, even though the captain knew it was a POW ship, he was ordered to sink it.

Kaitlyn said...

Wow.

I'm sorry about your relative, and I can't believe in these days of 'liberal/hate America' media and education that we never heard of that.

I was looking at the youtube comments for the video (I know, educational), and what I saw sounded cool - the main singer became a politician, and a good one!

Oh, god, I can't resist - don't hate me for this - "More information on Montevideo Maru can be found on the internet."

Anonymous said...

Who are you, and why are you littering up CC with your inane comments?

Kaitlyn said...

Who are you, and why are you littering up my blog with your inane comments?

Disclaimer

The comic is reproduced here for purposes of review only, and all rights remain with the creator, Gary Brookins.