Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wednesday November 26th

The comic:

Okay, so we read this short story in English this semester kinda about the same thing - using "heirlooms" vs. basically putting them in the museum.

I don't remember the title, I think Alice Walker wrote it ("heirloom" quilts play a big part), and I remember crying a lot, like a lot a lot. Like for an hour after class. The memory of crying is making me cry.

So Pluggers can get fucked. You're no better than me because you think you're more connected to your past than I am and that makes you a better person. Okay, maybe that's also coming from another book for school, Confederates in the Attic, and all the people in there that are like, yeah, having Confederate ancestors is the BEST!!!! Living in the same house my family's lived in since before the Civil War makes me a better person! Only leaving the town once or twice in my life does too.

Arrogant fuckers.

Thanksgiving tomorrow.

I'm sure the arrogance will be thicker than the cholesterol, if they don't ignore it completely.

I have a French test tomorrow, today, in 10 hours and about 3 minutes. I'm studying by listening to the French version of Colors of the Wind, before erasing that by falling asleep to some Bolly, Kolly, and Tollywood.

Night.

3 comments:

Tintin said...

Ahahahahaha, I've been reading Confederates in the Attic this fall--it's been my for-fun book. What a fabulous book.

Kaitlyn said...

I fell in love with that book early on. I was nervous because I don't like books about the war part of war. Now tell me about Anne Frank's life, or just somebody affected by battle. I know enough about the Civil War without knowing every little detail about the battles. Even the important ones.

We're reading it in American History - Whatever to 1877. And for the last five weeks, we've had to turn in a 2 page response paper to the 3 chapters we read that week.

This week, response 4 was due. An hour after finishing that one, I finished response 5, since I didn't want to work on it over the break. (I finished the book on Saturday and procrastinated until Monday. But I think I made up for it, especially since some people did it 30 minutes before class.)

He is a great writer, and yesterday, I picked up his newest book A Voyage Long and Strange at the library before class. One girl wanted to see his picture. I was just relieved to see, in the short author's bio, that his son's name was not Natty. This one is subtitled "Rediscovering the New World."

I'm excited. I like finding a new author.


To tie this back to Pluggerville - you do see the similarities, right? Especially to that one guy they met along the Civil Wargasm in chapter 10 - Jimmy Olgers. In my paper, if he had been a Plugger, I would have accused him a treason. I said America was built on wanderlust, not staying at home forever and ever - and this was before cars!

Or I could take a cheap shot and just say Pluggers = Southerners or White Supremacists, but nah. I think Plugger, I think Jimmy Olgers. Nice enough guy, I'm sure, but still.

Also, I want to see an updated version of the book now! He wrote this in like '95 or '96! How do(soon-to-be-did!!!!) these people feel about the government with Bush in charge? How do they feel about the wars? Does the chance of losing a child or friend in a real war take the fun out of re-enactment?

Of course, I said this the first time I discussed the book in class. The teacher didn't have the answer. What's up with that? That's, like, her job. ::tsk:: And yesterday, she totally asked us if the Civil War was over slavery or states' rights. After tossing around opinions, she said there is no definitive answer! Who knew history could be open to such interpretation?


I love this class.


I don't have to take the final cuz I have an A, hee hee hee hee.

Anonymous said...

I bet Plugger Grandmother's recipe book is 'The I Hate to Cook Cookbook.' In the post-war American kitchen, it was as common as the bible. It describes the many fine meals you can make using that great new invention, the microwave oven.

Disclaimer

The comic is reproduced here for purposes of review only, and all rights remain with the creator, Gary Brookins.