Friday, January 4, 2008

Saturday the 5th

The comic:

How could this be considered funny?

Oh it's funny because Jim Longley plugged up a phrase. Ha ha.

This is true for too many retirees, and that's not right.

This is not a good thing!

I know the phrase could mean that he's working because he's bored, he wants spending money, whatever.

But it doesn't come across that way.

And I must stereotype for a second - Pluggers are conservative. (But not all conservatives are Pluggers.) So they probably support cutting social security benefits.

But they're blue collar. I thought blue collar workers had great unions, which usually equals a pension.

Today's comic makes me feel uncomfortable.

And it's an insult, of course, to those retirees who don't like working at a big box store to survive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog, and just wanted to let you know that I was only reflecting reality - harsh reality to be sure - but reality nonetheless.

I work at a Home Depot, with a bunch of other retirees, most of us there not because we are bored, and just about everyone there liked the cartoon, especially those, like myself, that suffered the loss of pensions and devaluations of savings that the telecom implosion engendered.

Living on the edge of bankruptcy is indeed no fun, I've used up savings and tried to get a "real job" but jobs for people our ages, the good paying ones that our expertise would justify, don't happen. I am very lucky that HD keeps my wife's and my heads above water, we couldn't survive on less, and that's after my pension, which has never had a raise in the almost thirteen years since I was pretty much forced into early retirement.

Kaitlyn said...

I am so sorry.

Kaitlyn said...

Thanks for providing some backstory for the comic.

Disclaimer

The comic is reproduced here for purposes of review only, and all rights remain with the creator, Gary Brookins.